Monday, September 20, 2010

Baby Food and Apple Sauce

So I've been thinking that I will start sharing a bit more than just my new releases and freebies! I hope your buckled in for the ride because I Love to talk!! So a bit about me for you readers who don't know me! I'm a mom of 2 Gavin is going to be 7 in November and Dylan just turned 5 months on the 19th! I used to work for a big bad awful car insurance company and now I'm a stay at home mom/Digital Designer/Baby Sitter.

I'm going to share more about my adventures in being a bit more domestic! I've always wanted to be the perfect mommy and wife cooking and cleaning and taking care of everything my little ones need and now I'm able to do it!

My youngest Dylan stared eating solid foods early at just a little over 3 months (I know this isn't recommended but it was what was right for him based on his needs). We started with store bought baby cereal and did that for a little under a month. Then I was reading about homemade baby food and decided to go that route instead of jarred baby food for 2 reasons. First because it is WAY cheaper to make your own baby food and second because you know exactly whats in it and what better way to have fruits and veggies than fresh!

So in my search for how to make my own baby food I found this wonderful website Wholesome Baby Food Recipes and I'm totally hooked. We are still on stage 1 and here's a list of what I've made: Avocados, Banana's, Carrots, Peaches, Yams, Green Beans, Acorn Squash, Apples, and Pears. Dylan loves to have his foods mixed together usually I try to do one fruit, one veggie, and some cereal. Sometimes it's just a big mix! One of the oddest combo's that he really liked was Oatmeal, Green Beans, and Banana's. He LOVES anything mixed with Peaches the best.

So in my adventure making baby food I realized hey I could totally make my older son applesauce too! So today we went Apple picking and picked 19 lbs (which was only $15!!)! I made a LARGE pot of apple sauce, 2 trays of apple baby food, and we still have apples left to eat.

Apple Sauce Recipe:
  • Peal and Cut Apples, I put them in a large bowl with water and Lemon while i was cutting to keep them from browning.
  • Put about an inch of water in a large soup pot and add the apples. Put the lid on and cook on high until it starts to bubble then turn down to medium. I cooked the apples about 25-30 minutes.
  • Take the lid off and mash the apples. Mine were already pretty mushed up on their own.
  • Add Brown Sugar and Cinnamon to taste. I just kept adding it and tasting it till it was right.
That's it can you believe it's that easy?!?!

Tomorrow I'm going to try to make apple butter in my crock pot I've read a bit about this and it starts with the apple sauce so I'm going to give it a shot! I'll make sure to let you know how it goes!!

No comments: